Campus Fire Safety: September is Campus Fire Safety Month.
Veterans Fire Protection would like you to review the following information.
College students: take a moment to watch this campus fire safety video. These tips can save your life as well as the lives of those around you!
Parents of college students: how fire-safe is your child’s off-campus housing? According to Campus Firewatch, four out of five campus-related fire deaths occur in off-campus housing. Two common factors in off-campus housing fires are no fire sprinklers and no working smoke alarms. USFA and FEMA have prepared a list of 10 questions that all parents should ask about fire safety in off-campus housing. Please take a moment to review this life-saving information and learn more about campus fire safety HERE.
Download these free handouts on preventing on- and off-campus fires to reproduce and distribute in your community.
Campus Fire Safety Tips:
There are several specific causes for fires in on- and off-campus college housing, including cooking, candles, smoking and overloaded power strips. For most students, the last fire safety training they received was in grade school, but with new independence comes new responsibilities. It is important that both off-campus and on-campus students know their fire risks and prevention actions that could save their lives.
- Cook only where it is allowed.
- Keep your cooking area clean and free of anything that can burn.
- Keep an eye on what you are cooking, especially if you are cooking at high temperatures.
- If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the unit.
- Place candles in sturdy holders.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep candles away from anything that can burn.
- Use safe flameless candles.
- Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out. Never toss hot cigarettes butts or ashes in the trash can.
- Use deep, wide ashtrays. Place ashtrays on something sturdy and hard to burn.
- After a party, check for cigarette butts, especially under cushions. Chairs and sofas catch on fire fast and burn fast.
- Don’t smoke when you have been drinking or are drowsy.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Never use an extension cord with large appliances, like a refrigerator.
- Do not overload outlets.
- Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection.